Diet and Nutrition is important for baby’s nourishment during pregnancy. Whatever mother’s eat and drink during pregnancy will affect the health of the baby. The mother has to choose from a variety of food and beverages to provide the proper nutrients a baby needs for growth and development.
Important Nutrients Needed During Pregnancy
A woman in pregnancy needs more calcium, folic acid, iron and protein than a normal woman. These nutrients play an essential role and what their role in a pregnant woman’s body is as follows:
- Folic Acid: Folic acid, vitamin B needed for baby’s brain and spine. It helps to prevent the defects known as neural tube defects. It is found mainly in leafy green vegetables, fortified and enriched cereals, breads and pasta. Pregnant women must take these foods to prevent their baby from defects.
- Calcium: Calcium is used to build baby’s bones and teeth. Source of taking calcium is milk, yogurt, cheese, calcium fortified juices and foods, sardines or salmon with bones, some leafy greens. Generally, if the women are not taking adequate amount of calcium than the baby drawing calcium from her mother’s bones to meet the extra demand of calcium.
- Iron: Pregnant women need double the iron what a normal women need which is around 27 milligrams of irons a day. Less amount of iron lead to anemia, a condition resulting in fatigue and an increased risk of infections. Main sources of food are meat, poultry, fish, iron fortified cereals, dried beans and peas.
- Protein: For baby’s brain and organs, pregnant women need enough amount of protein it is mainly found in meat, nuts, eggs, tofu, fish, dried beans and peas.
Limitations to certain foods are
- Fish with High level of mercury
- Unpasteurized food
- Raw meat